Kitchen sink often gets dirty and oily, especially in kitchen. It is important to maintain cleanliness in Kitchen. Clean washbasins or sinks can prevent cross-contamination of germs and bacteria for example salmonella and E Coli.
Method to clean the kitchen sink
First put about half cup of baking soda down your kitchen sink and slowly pour two cups white vinegar into the drain and let it sit there and fizz for about ten minutes at least. I usually set a timer so I don’t forget! Once those 10 minutes are up remove the plug from the sink and slowly pour boiling water down the drain to push everything out.
This should take care of most clogs in your kitchen sink. This works for stubborn drains many times over. Kitchen sinks are typically dirty, even if you clean your kitchen regularly. This is because the amount of soap and water that runs into your sink every day doesn’t help you to get a cleaner sink.
Note: If not cleaned for a long while, it is possible to clean up any kind of dirt in less than 15 minutes.
Kitchen Sink Cleaning Solution
- 2 cups of hot or warm water (the temperature needs to be bearable)
- Mix 1/2 cup baking soda with 1/4 cup vinegar and add it to the hot water. The combination will start fizzing immediately so don’t add the ingredients before the water is boiling. Then, just let them boil for a minute or two until the bubbles die off.
- Pour the boiling mixture into your sink and immediately use a rag or sponge to scrub the stains that you want removed.
- Use hot water when washing dishes (it is better if it’s also accompanied with dish soap), this way the dirt will be easier to remove
- Rinse your plates and utensils right after using them
- Avoid putting oily things in the sink
- The garbage disposal is very efficient but if you don’t want it to have a metallic taste, just run some hot water before using it.
Although you may think that with the amount of soap and water that runs into your sink every day, the basin is relatively clean, this is simply not the case. The rinsing and splashing with dish soap that happens with daily use do nothing to clean your kitchen sink.
The combination will start fizzing immediately so don’t add the ingredients before the water is boiling. Then, just let them boil for a minute or two until the bubbles die off. Pour the boiling mixture into your sink and immediately use a rag or sponge to scrub the stains that you want removed.
Read More: How to breathe underwater in minecraft: Interesting information about minecraft and all you want to know.
Important Points of cleaning kitchen Sink
- Always keep a separate brush for cleaning the sink so it does not mix with cleaners already stored in the cupboard. Also store it separately from other brushes such as toilet scrubber which may already be carrying germs.
- To clean built up food matter such as grease, dough/batter etc., use baking soda to remove oil stains from plates by leaving them overnight. For above mentioned washing tips , follow instructions given on product label.
- Scrub the sink vigorously using a paste of baking soda and vinegar or cleaning products available in market. Also, you can use toothpaste to scrub stubborn stains from your sink.
- Sinks with stainless steel surface can be wiped by rubbing alcohol for cleanliness.
- If the scrub doesn’t help then it is time to call a plumber who can steam clean your kitchen sink by dirt and debris after disconnecting it from plumbing system. You may need this service once in 6 months depending on how dirty the sink gets between cleanings.
- After cleaning and rinsing, pour half cup of bleach (may vary depending on the brand’s directions) down your drain and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Then, pour a pot of boiling water down your drain to rinse the bleach away and clear any other dirt or grime stuck in your sink.
- You can also use lemon peels as an alternative to bleach. Cut them into thirds lengthwise and then stuff two halves back inside each other with flat ends facing upward. Tie the peel together with string from top to bottom and let it sit for 4 days. On the fourth day, take apart the orange and squeeze its juice into drain before turning on hot water to flush out dissolved debris and residue.
- Cleaning kitchen sinks is necessary because food particles left after washing dishes may attract bugs such as flies, cockroaches etc., which bring bacteria along themselves if not cleaned properly.
- If your sink is stainless steel and you feel the need to polish it every now and then, just rub lemon on a piece of cotton cloth and apply it all over the surface. Make sure you wipe away any excess that might drip into the drain by running hot water over cloth.
- Never pour chemicals down kitchen sink as chemical reaction may occur resulting in release of harmful fumes such as chlorine which can seep through drains and corrode parts under your sink resulting in leaks or errors/faults with plumbing system . Also don’t use metallic objects such as knives or forks to unclog drains because they can scratch its surface or damage drain opening (where water comes out).
- For heavily soiled surfaces, or where there is a build-up of lime scale or rust, use caustic soda. Do not use this method to clean stainless steel sinks as it may damage the surface of sink. To avoid staining, let tap water remain on spots for sometime before leaving them to dry up completely. Use product’s label instructions for extra cleaning tips.
- If you notice any scratch marks on your sink then do not rub lemon over it because acidic juice has the ability to further corrode the metal underneath. Also, do not scrub over any stains that are beginning to become permanent because these stains will eventually corrode through the metal into the porcelain enamel and stick around for good.
Start by sprinkling baking soda on the damp sink, then filling your sponge with hot water, dish soap, and it. When you clean a sink, start at the top and work your way down, pushing any filth into the drain. If necessary or until the surface is free of scum, apply soap and water.
How should a stainless steel sink be cleaned for optimal results?
Spray stainless-steel cleanser onto the sink or apply it to a cloth. Use a quart of hot tap water mixed with one teaspoon of dish soap as an alternative. Carefully wipe the sink while moving the fabric (or brush) toward the grain for optimal shine. Rinse with warm water to remove residual soap.
Because of daily use, the kitchen gets dirty. But it is our responsibility to clean it. So, it is very easy and simple to clean the kitchen. Above mentioned all the tips and notes for the cleaning of kitchen sink.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best method to clean kitchen sink?
You can easily clean the kitchen by using baking soda and vinegar.
- How often times we should clean the kitchen sink?
You should clean your kitchen sink daily with hot water. And after 2 days wash the kitchen sink with vinegar and baking soda.